Friday, December 23, 2011

The Talents I Don't Have

Yeah, I can't do that either.
Photo by maya picture


I usually try to avoid holiday parties.  I’m not one for enforced frivolity, so most of the time I wind up sitting in the corner, clutching a soda and chatting with the one person I know (other than the host, who is usually never seen).   I attended this one for a few reasons: 

  1. The hostess was someone I wanted to get to know better.
  2. My husband’s band was scheduled to play.
  3. I was actually encouraged to bring the kids.


The party was intended to serve two purposes.  Not only was it a holiday celebration, it was also a kind of housewarming.   The couple who were hosting had purchased the house about a year ago, for a steal.  Of course, when you purchase houses for a steal, you also know that you are going to be renovating the heck out of them, and this was the case here.  When I heard stories about how bad the house was when they bought it, it blew my mind. 

The house was gorgeous.  Restored hardwood, high beamed ceilings and so many wonderful, decorative touches all over the place.  Our hostess is an artist.  She makes the most beautiful handmade dolls you’ve ever seen.  As I received my tour of the house, I couldn’t help feeling jealous.  I wanted to live in this beautiful house, but I know that if I had been in the market and had stumbled across it, I wouldn’t have been able to see the possibilities it presented.  I simply don’t have an eye for that kind of thing.

There’s a lot of talents I don't have:  

  • I am not artistic.  I cannot come across some random object and imagine a new way I could use it to decorate my home.  I can't even draw, past a quick sketch.
  • For that matter, I have a terrible time keeping my home picked up and free of clutter.
  • I am not musical.  I cannot imagine new music or tunes I haven’t heard before.  I can’t sing either, although that doesn’t stop me from belting along with the radio.
  • I can’t play first-person shooter video games.  I get lost and confused, and I have a terrible time trying to aim.


But there’s so many things I can do, and when I’m feeling envious of someone else’s talent, I need to remember the ones I have:

  • I can turn a phrase and create readable and enticing prose.
  • I have a good eye for detail.
  • I have a logical approach to life, allowing me to solve problems with little trouble.
  • I make friends quickly and easily.
  • I can solve logic puzzles that other people see as indecipherable.
  • I can cross-stitch, creating my own beautiful works of art. 
  • I can cook delicious dinners for my family, embellishing as needed.


That’s not half bad, actually.  


No comments:

Post a Comment