Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I Don't Get No Respect

Seriously.  This is not what I do all day.
Photo by graur codrin


What do people see when you tell them you are a writer?

Option 1:  You in your pajamas and fuzzy bunny slippers at 2 in the afternoon, sitting at your desk and playing solitaire.

Option 2:  You in your pajamas and fuzzy bunny slippers at 2 in the afternoon, sitting on your couch and watching reruns of Judge Judy.

Option 3:  You in your pajamas and fuzzy bunny slippers at 2 in the afternoon, lying in your bed and taking your second nap of the day.

What exactly is it that we do?  Does anyone know?

If writing is your full time occupation, are you somehow lazier than your counterparts who get up and drive into the city wearing high heels or a tie?  Does planting butt in chair and allowing words to stream from your brain into your fingers, regardless of whether they are fictional or researched, make your work less serious?  Is it playtime, all the time, when you write?

I know it isn't for me.  It's been almost a year since I looked at my options and decided that making a go of freelance writing was the best decision.  I don't regret that.  But I wonder how I'm seen through the eyes of the people who know me.

I work hard most days.  My daily schedule is filled in from morning until about 9 pm.  I write in my breaks.  Just because my work is flexible doesn't mean it's less important.  I've come a long way in the last twelve months.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a homeschooling mom;). Anytime you do anything at home, there's that pesky "lazy" label hovering. Frankly, I've never worked harder in my life--and not nearly as many people around to acknowledge the work and pat me on the back. So here's a pat on the back for you! Oh, and if you DO want to stay in your jammies all day, I won't judge you;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding! I give oodles of respect to homeschooling moms -- I don't know HOW you do it!!

      Delete
  2. I can honestly say that you work harder than a LOT of people I know. Not just at the writing gig, but also with the Kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think running your business in general can mean you work harder than most. We have to handle every aspect of the business and do all the work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true -- there's always so much to think about and consider. Even if I'm reading, chances are it's something as part of my research. Work never seems to stop for me. Thanks for reading!

      Delete