Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Four Favorites: Ages 0 - 3

I've been digging through my 1001 Children's Books and thinking about the books that I loved the most and have stuck with me.  My criteria mainly seem to be, which books do I see in the store and want desperately to purchase so that I can share them with Maddie?

The Little Engine That Could  by Watty Piper -- Does anyone not remember this story when they are faced with what seems like an insurmountable job?  "I think I can, I think I can..."  " I thought I could! I thought I could!"  Probably one of the most valuable lessons a child can learn.  And do you recall that The Little Engine is female?  Powerful words for a little girl to hear.

Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey -- I love the illustrations in this book.  They are so realistic and beautiful.  I have very distinct memories of having this book read to me in school.  The ducks are now a statue in Boston Public Garden.

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown -- This book was one of Maddie's Christmas presents this year.  I was on a mission, determined that she have this one.  There is something so soothing about this book.  The illustrations have so much detail to them... the shadows getting longer, the cat and mouse scampering around.  Maddie finds so many details to point out and talk about.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle -- Love, love , love this book!  The bright colors, the holes we can touch, the pages that lengthen with the story... In fact I love all the Eric Carle books (The Grouchy Ladybug was another Maddie present this year!).  They all look like works of art and tell fun stories that little ones can memorize to "read along."

What are your favorite stories for this age group?  They are mostly picture books out there, but there are some stunning ones.

I took a peek through the 3 - 5 category... that's going to be a hard one to narrow down!  So much good stuff right around the bend....

No comments:

Post a Comment